Saturday, June 4, 2011

Jellyfish and Sargassum
















This is my first post in over two years! Hopefully I'll now be able to get to the beach enough to make at least some postings in this blog.


I just had to get to the beach to see the jellyfish that the news mentioned that were stinging bathers along beaches in Brevard County. I carried a camera so I could document my find. Along the stretch of beach that my wife and I walked Friday in Indialantic, we didn’t see a single jellyfish! We did, however, see lots of sargassum brought in by the strong easterly winds.

Perhaps the jellyfish were only further north in the Cocoa Beach area. Maybe they will show up today.


I did, however, take a couple pictures of the sargassum on the beach which I am posting here.


Interestingly, I did notice that turtle nesting season is underway. Pictures of their tracks will make for a future posting.

No comments: