Sunday, December 7, 2008

Manatee in the Surf!

Usually I include a picture with each post, but I missed the picture that I wanted. Yesterday afternoon I was on the beach when I saw a manatee just off shore. I had my camera with me, but by the time I readied it to take a picture, the manatee disappeared in the water and I never saw it surface again.

A couple of years ago I was fishing alone along the Beach in Indialantic when I saw something huge in the surf. It scared me because I didn’t know what it was. At first I thought it was a big shark, but then it surfaced again and I recognized it as a manatee. It is rare to see a manatee in the surf here. I feel badly that I missed getting the picture to share with you.

Fishing Conditions: When I walked to the beach this morning, I did not see any fisherman. Although the ocean is fishable, there is a brisk northerly wind to contend with and probably a strong current. There is wave action and you can see some whitecaps in the distance. The water clarity is slightly on the murky side. There is still no seaweed in the water.

No comments: